Thursday, September 25, 2008

Srugim or Sex and the Holy City

I'm in Israel for this leg of my studies before my scheduled junket to Japan for intense training in Zen. While I'm here, I live in the old Jerusalem neighborhood of Katamon--this place is famous for its singles scene. Recently, Katamon (or "the botz" or "swamp" as its singles wryly and only half-affectionately call the place) came to national attention as it was featured in the new Israeli TV show "Srugim," a soapy but poignant Israeli pop-intervention. Srugim dramatizes the lives of young, "Modern-Orthodox" singles adrift. Modern-Orthodoxy means many things to many people, but as a movement it tries to live in the space between the real world and real ritual (the "liminal space" as my teachers say). Watching "Srugim" is fascinating... Once, I was one of these people. Now, I'm just me/and them/and everybody else.

"On the beach on Shabbat (the Jewish sabbath)":

No comments: