Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Firmaments

When I go looking in search of what I've lost--if I bend literary--well, that would be fun. But it wouldn't have any love in it.

Remember: in things past, blogs, talk, and text--it's all been said. Time after time.

That's OK.

Reader, that's OK.

This post is simple minded. It's been said before. In this one case, I have no problem with that.

So: on the second day of this blog, I would like to show some love. I am grateful to Kadam Morten Clausen for his lucid, lucid, lucid lecture delivered earlier tonight. It was entitled: Effort: Enjoying Life

See this link for more info: http://www.meditationinnewyork.org/Resident_Teacher.php

Kadam Morten noted that:

1) Things we do which we say "make us happy" are said to do so because they function as a "relief" from a prior state. For example, after work, we might go golfing. Perhaps the day at the office did not make us happy.

2) However, after sufficient time, happy at the links, we need relief from the golfing as well. Every golfer has to and wants to call it a day after a point. In fact, it would make them unhappy to continue.

One could imagine a version of Sisyphus' hell as a never ending golf tournament, caddying ones irons from hole to hole. Indefinitely.

3) The same could be said of any thing which provokes a "happy" state of mind.

4) For example: Pizza makes me happy. So theoretically the more pizza I eat, the happier I'll be. But after two or three slices... a fourth, let alone a fifth becomes nauseating. The effort will not repay itself.

Interim conclusion: happiness that requires effort will burn out.

Well...

Maybe not...

To "obtain" happiness as a thing, something outside to be annexed, surely that requires effort. And one only has just so much effort on reserve.

Is there another happiness? One which you couldn't give or get enough of when you were a child and--hopefully--when you are an adult? One which will never burn you or itself out, even though it requires much effort?

Yes. And you know what it is.

If you've forgotten, as I have--we'll I'm making an effort! Immediately.

Seriously, like right now.

It's sustainable. I'm told.

No comments: